HC Heater control decals

Adverts in this section of the forum are offered to all guests of the club and paid up members of the club. The parts offered are not the property of the Viva Owners Club club (this may include committee members selling their own private property).

Please follow the posting guidelines in the first Announcement post.

HC Heater control decals

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:18 am

I've had some sets of water-slide decals made, suitable for refurbishing the heater controls on a HC. Anyone who has made an Airfix kit will remember sticking them in a saucer of water and so on. My switches had faded quite badly, so I bought a narrow "paint pen" to try to reinstate the logos after painting them black, but even the narrow one is a bit too wide for some parts, and you need a really steady hand.

This is a set of controls I refurbished:

The fan logo on the left looks as it if has raised edges, and this is because I didn't use a sharp enough knife to separate the logo from the sheet. The others were done with a new scalpel, and are much better. The photo is before a coat of protective lacquer is applied, which I am hoping will help to disguise the edges a little. I intend to use a satin lacquer as I don't think the switches would start out glossy.

I can't say how long these will last once they're on the car. I guess it will depend on how good a lacquer coat they get, and how much use the controls get. But I think they improve the look of things a little. Model makers might have better techniques for fitting them - there are products around that help to lose edges and so on. General instructions:

Carefully cut the decal to shape and place it in a saucer of cold water and leave to soak for 30 seconds or so, until the decal has released from the backing paper. Do not try to force the decal from the backing paper until it has fully released as this may stretch the varnish or cause it to break. I left mine for sixty seconds before trying to apply them.

Slide the decal off the backing paper directly onto the surface you are applying it to. While the decal is still wet, manoeuvre it into position, ensuring that there are no air bubbles. Using kitchen towel or soft tissue, carefully squeeze any remaining bubbles and wipe away excess water, though bubbles should not be an issue in such small decals. Leave to dry for several hours in a warm place.

Transfers should only be applied to grease free, clean, glossy surfaces. If you require a matt finish, over-coat it with a suitable varnish after the transfer has been fitted and dried thoroughly.

Set of four decals - £4.50 plus P&P. PM if you're interested.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Re: HC Heater control decals

Postby 1972nail » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:40 pm

Well done Mike. Those look great. We just need to find a way to re-manufacture the heater slide knobs themselves.

:goodideasign:
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:21 pm

I hadn't realised the slide knobs were an issue, though when I look at them I see that most of mine are broken behind the locating hole. A blob of Evo-stik sorts that out, though, and isn't too difficult to remove if needed.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:00 pm

Most of mine were broken too but i did have one good pair when building my car. I was lucky enough to pick up a couple of spare good ones at MH last year.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby HC Fairley » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:43 am

Are these still available ?
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:39 am

Yes, still have some.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:41 pm

A quick update on the write-up above, I found that the Humbrol satin lacquer was a bit too glossy for my taste. When I did the second set, I used Humbrol Matt lacquer instead, and I think it looked much closer to original.

You can also see the fan decal has much less of a noticeable edge when I cut it with a properly sharp knife. It's visible in the flash photo, but only just.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to Parts for sale from private individuals (not club parts)