Hi all, thanks for adding me.

If you're new say a bit about yourself. :welcome2:

Hi all, thanks for adding me.

Postby Lauren69 » Wed May 05, 2021 11:39 am

I live in Auckland NZ.
My son recently got himself his first Classic Car, a beautiful 1971 Vauxall Viva.
We have been going to and entering some shows with her and having a great time..

Sadly, we weren’t really given any History on it at all and everything we basically do know has only been through my relentless researches.

I’ve discovered that it doesn’t have the legally required 17 digit VIN number, but it does have a 14 digit number, that I’m guessing would be the CHASSIS number.

I know that a VIN number can be Decoded, supplying all relevant information on the vehicle such as Make, Model, Year, where it was made etc etc etc.
Is that the case with the CHASSIS number as well? If so, how can I get it decoded?
I have been trying for a couple of days now, and I’m not getting anywhere..

I also have a few other sets of NUMBERS and inquiries about a few things, but I think I’ll tackle each one of them separately

Thanks for ANY leads :?
Lauren69
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Hi all, thanks for adding me.

Postby droopsnoot » Wed May 05, 2021 1:39 pm

You could have a look at the main club web site which has a section on this. For the VIN and SPI plates, have a look here: http://www.vauxhallviva.com/?page_id=290
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Lauren69 » Wed May 05, 2021 2:35 pm

Hi, I’ve already done that and it’s made me think something’s not quite right lol, as the Chassis number I have doesn’t seem to fit in.

Cassis Number we have is 14 Digits long with only one letter included

933111N7890277

Cheers
Lauren69
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed May 05, 2021 6:04 pm

Ah, that may be because it's an export model, perhaps the code is made up differently. I recall another question which had a different manufacture location, for example. Unfortunately my parts manual only lists the UK plants so I can't confirm what "N" refers to.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jpsmit » Thu May 06, 2021 2:51 am

a little time with the google suggests that Vauxhalls were assembled in New Zealand - therefore likely the N

While the 1967-1969 HB Viva was assembled and sold in New Zealand as a Vauxhall, in neighbouring Australia the HB was marketed as the Holden Torana, which would become further developed and built in Australia over three generations. HB Torana SL sedans were imported from Australia to give Holden dealers a small car to sell in competition with the separate Vauxhall-Chevrolet dealer chain but this was short-lived and the updated 1969 models did not come over. New Zealand Vivas were built at the Trentham plant from late 1967 including a New Zealand-only van version derived from the Viva station wagon. Whereas the Vauxhall Magnum in the U.K was a Viva with double headlights and the highest trim level, in New Zealand the name was applied from 1975 to the Viva 1300 and 1800 which had the four-headlight frontal treatment of the British Magnum, but standard Viva interior trim.

RE the 14 digit VIN - looks like a 17 digit VIN wasn't made standard until 1981. IIRC My MG has less than 17 digits also.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Return to Say Hello