First car and memories

If you're new say a bit about yourself. :welcome2:

First car and memories

Postby diesel210271 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:35 pm

My mother had a viva, in 1980's, loved the car but my sister ducked down whenever she saw one of her friends, don't know why. I, however loved the car... so much power (well when you're 8 it seems fast). Ever since, I have loved the sharp lines, the 'unique' handling, especially when the road is wet. Today I call it fun! Anyways, now I am a mechanic, with a garage business in Edinburgh. Love the classic cars, and take on so many jobs that other garages regard as 'Nah, not worth it mate'. Respect to all our loved possessions. And to the interesting owners too.
I may be crossing a line here, but my first car was a ..... dum dum dum... Bedford HA Van. (I don't know what the thoughts are on that within the vauxhall world, but they are basically a Viva Van)
It is now time to pass on that baton to my apprentice. I am currently teaching him the beauty of adjusting points, blowing the dirt from carb jets and adjusting timing on what I would class as a 'proper car'... Oh!, does anyone know where the EOBD connector is on a 1976 Viva? LOL smiley face, and all the other 'junior speak' words.
Regards, Stuart, AKA Diesel.
stmotors-edinburgh.co.uk
diesel210271
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: First car and memories

Postby hbpeter » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:39 pm

Hello and welcome. Nice to hear from a garage that bothers with classics. You might get a few jobs, quite a few members in Scotland. HA Vans are quite sought after, as you can imagine being a van most of them got worked to death! They do popup now and again on the likes of ebay etc. If you join the owners club you will get access to spares, magazine, meets, the rest of the forum and cars that are for sale to club members.

Dont suppose you can remember the reg numbers of the Vivas from your past, or a photo or two!

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby dann01 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:09 pm

A classic friendly mechanic is a rare creature these days, so I bet you get quite a bit of custom from owners of older cars. I bet if you were to ask many on here what their first car was I hazard to guess they would say a Viva, I know mine was, and have a stack of memories which involve the car, some of which are perhaps not repeatable on a family read forum... Though I will admit that I learned how to crash in a Viva, better than anyone I know. :D

Welcome to the forum.

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby 1972nail » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:33 pm

diesel210271 wrote:Oh!, does anyone know where the EOBD connector is on a 1976 Viva? LOL

There must be one somewhere judging by the number of times I see throttle pots and lambda sensors for them advertised on ebay :new2_shrug:
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby dann01 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:57 am

Yeah, I note that... :lol:

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Return to Say Hello