1st Viva in Poland

If you're new say a bit about yourself. :welcome2:

1st Viva in Poland

Postby grzesiekfso » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:25 pm

Hello!Everyone I have Viva 1256 -1973 in Poland.I bought it several years ago in Southampton,when I lived there.I have deceided to take it back to Poland .Well ,here it is not easy to keep this car in my country.No chanches to buy any spare parts.I guess that somebody help me here. best regards.
grzesiekfso
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: 1st Viva in Poland

Postby thomas » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:34 pm

grzesiekfso wrote:Hello!Everyone I have Viva 1256 -1973 in Poland.I bought it several years ago in Southampton,when I lived there.I have deceided to take it back to Poland .Well ,here it is not easy to keep this car in my country.No chanches to buy any spare parts.I guess that somebody help me here. best regards.

Sounds good, I bet it'll turn a few heads over in Poland, suspect there might be possibly be one or two others there too, but if not unique, very rare all the same. There was a Polish owner based in Ireland with an HC but I think he wished to sell it last time he posted here. Is it a 2-dr, 4-dr, Coupe or Estate? Get it out in the sun, washed and stick up some photos for us to drool over; I like them looking pretty much standard even if modified and modernised under the hood to keep them running and safe; ask for help posting pics if you need it or need photos hosted.

Spares situation is a headache even over here as I guess you probably know; Ebay, this forum, the national parts days and autojumbles/shows and the club member's spares scheme being about the only options. It isn't a good sign but I suspect fear of parts drying up is a big motivator of club membership and the last resort if something is needed which is unobtainable from any other source. It goes without saying you should try to build a cache of routine spares and try to repair and refurbish what you can.

At the end of the day mechanical parts can just still be found new or secondhand, it's best to minimise the chances of anything going wrong by pre-emptive care, changing engine oil filter at least annually and a fresh fill with a good 20W/50 engine oil (semi-synthetic 20W/50 is available now and is worth the extra cost) it's most important for long life to keep its oil fresh and clean. Make sure you get a manual/book or two, the standard Haynes book plus whatever else you can find to give a different perspective on maintenance and repair jobs that might be required, plus technical details, torque settings and stuff. After about 30 years I would expect the oil in gearbox and back axle to be going off and getting that sucked out through the filler hole if possible as there's no drain plugs and refilled afresh should help avoid future problems there.

Biggest problem I expect is going to be bodywork and the related issue of keeping it watertight, I expect the winter climate over there is quite harsh, I don't know if the criminal Machiavellian insanity of spreading salt on the roads which we are subjected to (and seem powerless to get stopped), has taken root over there, if so the long-term situation if the car is in winter use is depressing without ongoing preventive care. I would let Darwinism rule and those who can't drive on a bit of slippery stuff come a cropper and remove themselves from the roads, or better still, the gene pool. I think someone with time, deep pockets and well lawyered-up should sue their local council and the trunk road authorities for corrosion damage resulting from salt use, at the least just to publicise the issue and air the debate.

Good luck with your car.
thomas
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: 1st Viva in Poland

Postby hbpeter » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:03 pm

Hello and welcome. Whats the number plate on the car, any photos? if you join the owners club you will get access to spares, magazine, and the rest of this forum. Ask any questions you need to, someone will know the answer.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Return to Say Hello