Middle-aged new boy

If you're new say a bit about yourself. :welcome2:

Middle-aged new boy

Postby miketemplar » Mon May 12, 2014 10:20 pm

Hi,
I've just agreed to buy a '71 Viva HB automatic, and taken an option on a HB estate from the same vendor, so I thought it sensible to join up on here.
A self employed windscreen fitter for the last 35 years, and a keen stage rally man, I have plans to restore the car bodily to original, but to update the mechanics to present day standards whilst keeping it all Vauxhall. the jury is out at the moment wether I go 2300/2600 slant four and o/d/getrag box, or 16v XE and Carlton 5 speed, but I hope you get the gist of it.
miketemplar
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Middle-aged new boy

Postby fouronthefloor » Mon May 12, 2014 10:56 pm

miketemplar wrote:A self employed windscreen fitter for the last 35 years

I reckon you could end up pretty popular around here :)

Welcome to the club.

Oliver
fouronthefloor
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue May 13, 2014 10:09 am

If this is the 1159cc auto that was for sale down Gloucester way for sale on Cars and classics For £1300 please think again about modifying it as it is a very rare car. 1159cc Autos are few and far between and need to be kept original. Should you decide to do it anyway please do it in souch a way that it can be put back to original and store all the original parts. As a club we are not against modification from original as long as the start point is something more common and it keeps another viva on the road
It would be better to start with something more common in the HB or HC line. If you are thinking of upgrade to slant 4 series or red top be aware that all running gear will need upgrading.
Sorry, as a proud owner of a Firenza with a V8 inplant, I have done my rant bit - welcome to the Forum - if you would like to consider becoming a full member I have attached our inquiry letter and an application form
Attachments
Application Form.doc
(36 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
InquiryLetter.doc
(25 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby miketemplar » Tue May 13, 2014 2:11 pm

Hi Fred,
Are they so sought after? I must confess I did'nt know, I've just spent some time hankering after a 2dr HB, and just fell cross this one a fortnight ago less than 20 miles from Ludlow. As regards the modifications, have no worries, I am a car nut with quite a bit of experience in this field, everything is done in such a way that it can be put back to original without destroying the character of the car. I already have a dozen done in this way, have my own farm workshop, and deal with modified and classic cars as part of my work on an everyday basis. :D
miketemplar
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue May 13, 2014 2:49 pm

Aha not that far from me then - I am in Newport Shrop - would have come your way the weekend to the show there only working on Vivas got in the way :roll:
Was it the one I said - Earl Mcleod I emailed - said he had someone coming round and would let me know - not heard any more - looked a nice motor - probably would have bought it. Bought a 79 HC 1300 L estate instead - going to fetch it tonight

If your over my way give me a bell and we can have a natter
Hereford Radiators have done me a mixed batch of Viva recored rads - do you know of them?
Fred
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby miketemplar » Tue May 13, 2014 6:53 pm

Not so nice actually, but solid in all the right places. I have most things sortedin my minds eye, sandblast the shell, engine, g/box, suspension etc, but does anybody here know if the Opel Manta A axle fits on this car without any major body mods? That's my original idea anyway, rather than going for a baby Atlas.
miketemplar
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Tue May 13, 2014 7:12 pm

No other axle other than the standard axles (either OHV or OHC) fir the shell, all the opal axles / atlas axles / 4HA axles etc all need major body changes and or major axle modifications in order to fit.
pbottomley

Postby miketemplar » Tue May 13, 2014 8:05 pm

Presumably the ohc axle is stronger than the ohv item, so that would be the one to go for? Modding an axle is no problem to me (mounts, spring saddles etc) but other than reinforcement I don't want to cut the shell about. Thanks for the guidance so far.
miketemplar
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Tue May 13, 2014 9:14 pm

miketemplar wrote:Presumably the ohc axle is stronger than the ohv item, so that would be the one to go for? Modding an axle is no problem to me (mounts, spring saddles etc) but other than reinforcement I don't want to cut the shell about. Thanks for the guidance so far.

Alas the OHC ones are getting hard to find and they are not that much stronger , the max power of a factory OHC was around the 135bhp mark, the axles tend to break around the 180 mark
pbottomley

Postby miketemplar » Thu May 15, 2014 9:21 am

Not man enough then, seems like I'm back to a F--D axle then, thanks for the input!
miketemplar
GT Viva
GT Viva

Next

Return to Say Hello