Hello Everyone

If you're new say a bit about yourself. :welcome2:

Hello Everyone

Postby FirenzaTommy » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:55 pm

Hey everybody, just here saying hello (again). I joined the forum about 5 years ago when I was about to start working on the Firenza, but a few other projects ended up getting in the way. I'm just coming towards the end of what I'm working on now, then the Firenza will be next. I've owned it for 20 years next month, and I've restored it before though it needs doing again fully as it's been off the road for some years now. It's a 1972 model with the little OHV engine in, upgraded to a modest extent using a late Viva HC engine and ancillaries about 12 years ago. This was after after a cracked piston and subsequent bore damage ended the life of the original one.

I'd like to go about joining the club, as I know the spares pool is usually better if you're an active member. I need a dashboard and a bonnet, after some kids got into the yard one weekend and used it as a den and trampoline after smashing their way in through the windscreen :cry: I have a number of Viva spares of my own, so perhaps I'd be of some use to people in the club as well.

So just to say really, happy to be here with more Viva fans. I love my little Vauxhall, and it's about time I finally got around to sorting it in time for it's 50th birthday!

All the best, Tom(my)
FirenzaTommy
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Hello Everyone

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:46 pm

Hi Tom if you are looking for joining the club you need to fill in the form from the website page http://www.vauxhallviva.com/?page_id=337
I note that you have applied for access to the members private area which will be accepted once your membership has been completed.
Welcome to the " need to get my Firenza restored" brigade :P I am a prime member of that group and have been trying to get mine done since 1999 :roll: It too is a K reg OHV but will finish as a 2.3 OHC one day :wink:
Attachments
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby FirenzaTommy » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:34 pm

Hi Fred

Thanks for the link, I'll get one downloaded and an application sent away. Yeah I dropped a message in the private member's area to inquire about membership, I had a feeling it wasn't the right place! :)

I must say your Firenza body is looking very nice indeed! I do feel your pain... I've put mine on the back burner so many times, mainly by putting other projects ahead of it over the years. I'll be needing to respray mine as well, I'll have to do it myself though so it's not going to come out as professionally as yours, but I'm not bad.

Last time I worked on mine significantly was a partial resto mainly concerned with the running and welding in a new inner wing, just keeping it on the road basically. That was at least 10 years ago! It'll be a nut & bolt this time around.

:thanx: and :goodluck:
FirenzaTommy
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:52 pm

Back around 2004 it was in Dorset looking a bit patchy but usable!

This was back 5 years ago just getting it on the roll-over jig!
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby FirenzaTommy » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:39 pm

Your bottom two photos are so similar to how mine is now. I've even got a yellow passenger door, a mix of that with black, white, and the obligatory oxide primer :) Looks like a lovely job you've done.

I was just filling out the membership form, need the chassis and engine numbers so I'll uncover the car on the weekend and get those. Which reminds me, still need to update the DVLA with the engine change about 12 years ago!

Not sure if the image will work, if it does that was mine back in the day. Early 2000's.
FirenzaTommy
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby FirenzaTommy » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:49 pm

I uncovered the car today and replaced a couple front tyres, they'd been flat since last year. I put a bit of fuel in and it started with some choke, didn't even need to touch the points! Ran nicely but the O-ring had perished on the bottom of the carb so was leaking on the manifold heatshield. It's already got a 1256 engine and Stromberg I put in years ago, along with the Bosch ancillaries. Around 12 years ago I bought a rotten Viva E saloon and got quite a wealth of parts from it to help with this one.

Could some kind person remind me where the engine number is on a 1256? I need it for the club application, and probably the DVLA...

All the best.
FirenzaTommy
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:16 pm

it should be stamped on the block below no 1 and 2 spark plugs
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby 1972nail » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:33 pm

FirenzaTommy wrote:Ran nicely but the O-ring had perished on the bottom of the carb so was leaking on the manifold heatshield.

I do O ring kits that fit all Strombergs and are ethanol safe. No need to buy an expensive complete overhaul kit and some of them have O rings that are not ethanol resistant.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Return to Say Hello