Hello from British Columbia

If you're new say a bit about yourself. :welcome2:

Hello from British Columbia

Postby caribougone » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:25 pm

A couple weeks ago, I came into possession of a 1969 Epic. I think it hasn't been on the road since the early 1980's and spent most of the time since then in a farmer's barn here on Quadra Island. It was being hauled away, likely to meet its doom, but it's such a rare and intact car I offered to take it home and see if it can be saved.

The seats are in good shape, (just one small rip) but the rubber floor covering has cracked in several places. The odometer shows just over 40,000 miles. Small holes have rusted through here and there on the body (the worst is behind the handle inside the trunk lid) but it seems pretty solid overall and I'm hoping nothing structural is compromised. The underside is mostly covered with thick undercoating.

I got the engine to run a couple days ago and it sounds lovely so that's motivated me to carry on towards making it roadworthy again. A Haynes manual is on its way from England to help take some of the mystery out of this new-to-me car.

I also have an MGBGT and an Austin 1800 so I must have a soft spot for old British cars. :)

Here's a picture of it coming out of the barn for the first time in who knows how long.
Attachments
caribougone
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Hello from British Columbia

Postby Fred Dukes » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:32 pm

Well done for saving the Epic - does not sound too bad from what you say. Keep us up to date on your progress.
Maybe consider becoming a paid up member.
Attachments
InquiryLetter.doc
(30.5 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Application Form.doc
(40.5 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby rizzo » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:40 pm

Hello there and welcome in, i have to say that is one of the best introductory posts ive seen in a long time, and what a cracking looking car, what a find, well done, it will be interesting to see how you get on. :goodluck:
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby cooperman » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:52 pm

Hi, lovely car you've found there, keep us posted
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby caribougone » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:49 am

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'll submit the application for the club sometime this week. Was just looking for the engine number for the form... a little sanding revealed 22GB3488 stamped below spark plug #2. Other engine numbers I've found reference to on this forum seem to be just numbers. I'll take the alternator bracket off tomorrow and see if there are more numbers hiding under there.
Attachments
caribougone
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:37 am

That will be ok to put down on the for membership application - good luck with your restoration :P
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby jpsmit » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:55 am

A quick hello from one of the very few other Canadians on the board - I'm in Toronto. Looks like a great project! welcome
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby Bob perry » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:13 am

There's also Nick out on Prince Edward Island, with a Viva, so maybe you guys should set up the Canada Viva section?
If you do, I'm on my way for the first Annual General meeting, ( as soon as this other problem recedes )!!

Good luck lads.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jpsmit » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:01 pm

Bob perry wrote:There's also Nick out on Prince Edward Island, with a Viva, so maybe you guys should set up the Canada Viva section?
If you do, I'm on my way for the first Annual General meeting, ( as soon as this other problem recedes )!!

Good luck lads.

Sounds like a plan! Sadly it is a bit of a drive to get to the meetings. :roll: JDC1 and his GT is the other Canadian member I am aware of and he at least is just a couple hours away. After that I know of another GT in Calgary, an HB in Thunder Bay, 2 in Manitoba and one on the Niagara Escarpment sort of near Niagara Falls. Oh and a very heavily modified HB just north of Toronto.

How does such trivia make its way to my brain?

At any rate, welcome again!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby caribougone » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:12 pm

Application submitted. Didn't find any more numbers behind the alternator bracket... but it is pretty rusty there.

Nice to hear from a fellow Canadian! I like how you're keeping track of the others here. I have a similar list of the half a dozen other Austin 1800's I'm aware of in Canada.
caribougone
SL Viva
SL Viva

Next

Return to Say Hello