593 MIU Ember Red Viva E Limerick, Southern Ireland

If you're new say a bit about yourself. :welcome2:

593 MIU Ember Red Viva E Limerick, Southern Ireland

Postby gurrier » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:04 pm

Hello all,

Just a brief introductory post.
I have recently come into the possession of what I have yet to have confirmed as a 1978 year, and definitely
a 2 door Vauxhall Viva with the above County Limerick , Ireland Mid West, registration number.
The vehicle was in a shed on a farm. A restoration had been begun, when unknown - by a gentleman who sadly passed away assisted by another gentleman who is now incapacitated.
I am presently in the process of confirming that it will be possible for me to re-register the car for road use.
It shows 58,000 miles which given wear internally would appear correct. The body is tatty but in apparently surprisingly good condition from the point of view of corrosion. It would appear that surface corrosion on the body led to a respray being begun.

I have attempted to decipher the vehicle identification plate but can find no reference to the MML included.
I would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me.

Regards,
Bill
1978 Vauxhall Viva E Two Door Saloon Member HC982
gurrier
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: 593 MIU Ember Red Viva E Limerick, Southern Ireland

Postby 1972nail » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:33 am

That looks like an interesting and worthwhile find. That is the SPI plate you have shown and not the VIN (chassis number in 1978 terms). The chassis number is on a plate riveted to the dash top and visible through the windscreen.

The 9YC11 part confirms it is a Viva E 2 door and the original colour code is on the plate too and is 2RB Ember Red. MML defines the export market it was destined for UK domestic market cars have DOM there instead.

http://www.vauxhallviva.com/?page_id=290

http://www.vauxhallviva.com/?page_id=317
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby 1972nail » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:53 am

An interesting point is that the plate only has 3 rivets and only 3 holes drilled in the inner wing.

The 4th hole was omitted early on in the production years when they realised that they couldn't put a rivet in the hole with the rectangular headlight in place. The car would have been almost fully assembled when the plate was fitted.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby gurrier » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:12 am

Thanks 1972 Nail,

I did notice that - interesting to know the background.

I did see the chassis no. but demurred initially in putting it up.

I will likely be raising many queries before I finish this project.

Regards,

Bill
gurrier
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby VampireTigger » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:21 pm

If the car was ever based in the UK, it should be possible to reclaim the UK plate once the car was ready for MOT. South of the boarder, I have no idea! Hope you breath life back into it.
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby gurrier » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:35 am

Thanks Vampire Tigger,
In ways the fact that this car was originally registered in Ireland - to me - makes it more of an attractive proposition to put it back on the road. In the classic care scene here a huge percentage of vehicles are ones that have been imported having been previously first registered in other countries-mainly the UK. I am also restoring a 1973 Mercedes S Class 350SE- again a first time Irish registered vehicle. Doing my small bit to retain some of our motoring heritage!
Regards,

Bill
gurrier
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Say Hello