Parts and advice needed

If you're new say a bit about yourself. :welcome2:

Parts and advice needed

Postby Steve » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:58 pm

Hi everyone, I have a magnum 2.3 coupe 1974. I'm trying to get a exhaust manifold for her and a complete exhaust system. Or if any body knows where I can get a s, steel one made to fit.
My second problem is electrical. If I put the headlights on after a few minutes they start to flash both in dip beam and main.
I'll thank you all in advance. Thank you Steve
Steve
First Post
First Post

Re: Parts and advice needed

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:20 am

The headlamp flashing is probably the thermal cutout doing it's job. It's a bimetallic strip that the headlamp power is run through, and when it gets overloaded it cuts the circuit until it cools down, at which point it re-connects. In that way, it's better than a fuse that just needs to be replaced, or a circuit breaker that would need to be reset. As for why it's doing it, any poor connections in the lighting circuit can increase the load, so checking all of those would be a good first move, and remember the two switches (the main switch and the dip/full beam switch in the column stalk) also have contacts that become dirty. Or, add a relay board so that only the switching current is running through the switch and cutout, and the lights themselves are on thicker, newer cables with appropriate separate fuses.

I have a PD Gough exhaust system on my HPF, which is still very nice indeed after almost 25 years on the car, but it has the standard HPF manifold - I think I've read that Goughs do a stainless manifold to suit. On my Sportshatch, which is effectively 2300 Magnum, that also has a stainless steel system but I cannot say where from as I bought it used. I believe Goughs also have a pattern for it, but I'm not sure about manifolds.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to Say Hello