Hello from Dorset, last visit 2013

If you're new say a bit about yourself. :welcome2:

Hello from Dorset, last visit 2013

Postby CJS » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:17 pm

Hi all

quick hello. I have my Grandfathers lovely 72 Garnet Starmist HC. Could not force myself to sell it so in the family it stays for another 48 years hopefully. I have its original receipt from Malvern Motors of Bmth from 11 April 1974 (I would have just turned 3). Purchase price £865.00.

Couple of challenges. I need to keep it wrapped up dry as it has been garaged for the past 48 years and I have a leaking carburettor that drips onto the exhaust manifold. So the work begins.

If anyone can recommend a storage option that will fit on my drive please do chip in. I am currently thinking metal garage that I can build myself. Anybody any experience?

All the best
CJ
Last edited by CJS on Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJS
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Hello from Dorset, last visit 2013

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:06 am

I have no experience of a metal garage, but I do have a metal shed (that is, metal frame clad in some sort of thin metal sheets) in the garden and the down side of it is that in cold weather there is condensation all over the inside of it which drips onto the things stored inside it. Quite a few things have been ruined by the damp atmosphere in there.

I do see on my local Facebook marketplace and similar sites from time to time where people are getting rid of concrete sectional garages for low prices, usually the buyer needs to dismantle but not always. I did keep my cars in those for quite a number of years without significant issues.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby HC Fairley » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:37 am

Hi CJ.

The carb is most likely leaking from the O-rings on the adjuster at the very bottom of the bowl. This is a common issue as the rings perish over time. Also due to the increased ethanol levels in our more modern fuels the older material can wear away. A club member has went to the effort of getting the correct sized rings reproduced and these can be purchased at the below link on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115397335718 ... R6C5h-aKYQ
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby CJS » Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:44 pm

droopsnoot wrote:I have no experience of a metal garage, but I do have a metal shed (that is, metal frame clad in some sort of thin metal sheets) in the garden and the down side of it is that in cold weather there is condensation all over the inside of it which drips onto the things stored inside it. Quite a few things have been ruined by the damp atmosphere in there.

I do see on my local Facebook marketplace and similar sites from time to time where people are getting rid of concrete sectional garages for low prices, usually the buyer needs to dismantle but not always. I did keep my cars in those for quite a number of years without significant issues.

Cheers Droopsnoot, Good feedback. I see some brands have ventilation at the gable end but I get your point. Will delve deeper as its only going to be temporary until I get a fresh garage built. :D
CJS
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby CJS » Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:52 pm

HC Fairley wrote:Hi CJ.

The carb is most likely leaking from the O-rings on the adjuster at the very bottom of the bowl. This is a common issue as the rings perish over time. Also due to the increased ethanol levels in our more modern fuels the older material can wear away. A club member has went to the effort of getting the correct sized rings reproduced and these can be purchased at the below link on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115397335718 ... R6C5h-aKYQ

Cheers HC Fairley, I believe the leak is coming from the accelerator pump assembly though it looks like its coming through where the pump lever goes through the pump housing that bolts on the carb.

Do you think it could be the diaphragm or is there an o ring inside where the lever moves?

Thanks for your feedback guys :D
CJS
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby HC Fairley » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:56 pm

Hi CJ

I honestly don't know. I don't think there is a ring in that kit for the lever. I have never had it leak from there so it's not something I can really comment on to be honest, sorry.

Mine leaked from the bottom of the bowl at the plastic adjuster but as I said it was easily remedied with a new ring. Let us know how you get on.
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby gurrier » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:25 pm

Welcome CJ,

You will find plenty of help here as I have. I suppose the best thing to do is to establish what type of carb is fitted to yours. It is a 1972 so this one seeing as you mention and accelerator pump? :-

if I were you I would invest in a repair manual -many available on ebay.

Regards,

Bill
1978 Vauxhall Viva E Two Door Saloon Member HC982
gurrier
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby HC Fairley » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:30 pm

Admittedly I never even thought of it having a 30 IZ fitted. I'm too used to seeing Stromberg CD 150's and 175's.

CJ I don't think the seal kit I sent you is compatible with a 30 IZ carb. If you have one then disregard what I said above as they are totally different to a CD150
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:13 pm

This what you need for a Zeneth 301z
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333312854312 ... 800c8c0c42
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby gurrier » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:04 pm

Hello again CJ,
Has it been confirmed that it is the 30IZ that is fitted ? It was purely the mention of the existence of an accelerator pump assembly that suggested to me that it was not a Stromberg CD.
Regards. Bill
1978 Vauxhall Viva E Two Door Saloon Member HC982
gurrier
SL Viva
SL Viva

Next

Return to Say Hello