Jim will try and fix it

Tell us all about what's happening and what you did

Postby Clara » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:37 am

mrs bulldog wrote:did someone say curry??if clara's making tea and st johns role what am i to do??apart from getting mike there and back with directions??see u all there

Sorry Sarah you'll be in charge of the tea! I'm going to be, actually I don't know where I'm going to be only that it's not going to be MM :cry:
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby mrs bulldog » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:06 pm

sorry to hear that clara.i guess i'll have to hold the whip and keep the lads in check then??mike n i have a tent would it be better to bring it with us??how bigs ur garden paul??mikes like sleeping next to a water bottle so im not too fussed either way really best dash im typing this at college!!sarah
sarah ex wife of mike (bulldog)

a viva widow in the making.....if you can't beat them join them!!!!
hc estate,magnum,firenza,hb.......ANOTHER one mike??
mrs bulldog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby psl » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:24 pm

Sarah dont be so silly, my garden is big enough for a good few tents but no one will be sleeping outside. We`ve got a double blow up bed x2 and they should fit in the front room. Hopefully if i can rehome the kids for the weekend then i`ll have some bedroom space :wink:
psl
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby dann01 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:15 am

So is this a sunday 11th thing, or an entire weekend thing, cos the wife has cut me loose for one day.
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Jim will try and fix it

Postby pbottomley » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:54 am

The 11th, is the advances guard party, we are just there for the day to
see if its an easy fix for the blue car, and or fix it.

The weekend of the 24th and 25th is a full weeekend do. Maybe get the
estate sorted and or another car!!
pbottomley

Postby pbottomley » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:21 pm

Report from the PRE weekend team:

We fixed it (temporally) The Blue car needs a new distributor, a LT lead, some gearbox oil and that's it.... Possible oil pump needs turning a bit... as its very difficult to get it timed as the pump seems to of bene put into the engine maybe a few cogs out? Anyway we got it running but the Dist is deff duff.

we played:

we played some more:

Finally Paul went for a drive and it drove fine... Tappets will need doing at some point:

Mazzo and me were so chuffed we thought why not try the MOSSMOBILE!

OMG Its runs and sounded sweet as a nut, a little steam out the water pipes but it goes!

So it went for a drive as well: around 4pm we packed up had some more cups of tea and headed off home leaving PSL smiles, happy and more aware of what he needs to do.

pbottomley

Postby mazzo » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:26 pm

Just got home. M1 stationary at times.

Yep, the blue one is fine but the dizzy is pretty bad. The mechanical timing I think is OK but the oil pump may have been put in badly. It means the vacuum advance is tight up against the side of the engine - it does adjust OK, but we tried to put in a bosch dizzy and there is no way you can set it as it can't even get a spark in the turn range. Basically at TDC the slot is about 30 to 40 degrees out.

Tappets are not too bad, but really could do with checking. Other than that it should be fine. We also changed the carb which helped a lot!

As for the estate - it was great to get it running. The tappets do need doing on this one - but it is responsive and runs evenly - even though the rotor arm and cap are well past their prime - and the points are not great but I sanded them to as clean as poss (without losing the recess).

All in all a good, satisfying day. Good fun, good bacon - and lots of viva chat!
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby psl » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:53 pm

good to see you got back ok Mazz. A big thanks to the pair of you for getting the blue one mobile :D :D i was more impressed that the mobile moss machine drove really well :twisted: untried and tested, good job the brakes worked when i took it for a spin :twisted: had to be done.
24th/25th will be more a weekend of chill and relax, along with some bacon, a spot of sherry and the odd bit of curry thrown in :P plus the odd bit of tinkering. Monday will be my first foray onto a UK road in a legal viva for over 18 months, cheers chaps :D
Im really tempted to change the pipes and rad on the moss machine and take it down for an MOT just for the sheer sake of it :twisted: i want to see the MoT testers face
psl
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Clara » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:05 pm

Do let us know when you take the moss into the MOT station Paul! I might have to nip over and watch the proceedings :lol:

Glad it's not looking fatal.
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby bodyworx » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:59 am

Yehh, good result guys !,
you must take a pic of the MOT tester guys face when you bring the estate car in,,,, it will be PRICELESS! (especially if it passes!) :D :shock:

Remember if theres any 1256 engine parts (or indeed the full engine)you need, phone me and i'll send them down (ie distributor!).
Andy.
bodyworx
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Events