Drag Racing last chance saloon 16th April 2016

Tell us all about what's happening and what you did

Drag Racing last chance saloon 16th April 2016

Postby pbottomley » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:30 am

It with sad news that I have to report that Shakespeare county raceway is closing down, 2016 is the last season that racing will ever take place on the strip. The airfield has been sold off for housing :?

A few years ago (2012) an open invitation was presented to the club from the Viva Outlaws to come and enjoy some racing ideally with a Viva, its all very friendly and frankly funny. This year the Viva Outlaws have again extended a welcome to the Viva Owners club to come to the drag strip and enjoy a coffee, a bacon "death" burger and watch / take-part in the odd race up the strip.

http://www.shakespearecountyraceway.com/eventdetails.asp?event=101

Do you have a suitable car? if it goes in a straight line then YES, that's it.

So what Happens at these events then? well for one its not a car show with bonnets open all days long, which is a lie as most of the time my car does just that cooling down after a few runs.... But you get the idea, its about GO and not SHOW..

On arrival at Shakespeare pay your entrance fee and drive down to the pits area and find the rest of the Vivas Parked up and say hello... get a coffee and we will talk you through the process of getting a race.

You need to bring a photo driving licence with you (no licence no race) and have a quick scrutinisation of your car, which takes 5 minutes or so and you get the nicest people in the world wanting to have a good look at your car (they check for seatbelts, brakes, and a look under the bonnet to make sure nothing leaks fluids out), once that's all done and you have booked into race control your ready to go for your first race. :D

Racing takes place from 10am till 5pm with a 45 minute lunch break. Its all very friendly, with some really amazing cars and bikes to look at, or go watch the races from the grandstand, whilst your waiting for your car to cool off a bit.

Attachments
pbottomley

Re: Drag Racing last chance saloon 16th April 2016

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:32 pm

Do people need a Crash Helmet :?: :goodideasign:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby pbottomley » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:46 pm

In order to race even if your doing 1mph YES,

Spare helmets can be arranged (i have a couple)

In order to watch you only need yourself
pbottomley

Postby dann01 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:44 pm

IF I can find cover for me in the shop, then I shall come along and see what Darth can do on the 1/4 mile again.

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby pbottomley » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:30 am

Should go well Dan, have seen lots of things occur over the last few years. And before you ask no Little Darth will need unhitching he cannot go up the strip.
pbottomley

Postby cooperman » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:57 am

I really wanted to go along to this as I've seen some great racing at Shakey, I will be sad to see it close. I don't know if you'll get many runs in today as it is snowing here, (60 miles away)
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:11 am

Yeah I was on a "natural break" this morning at 4.45am - woke by what sounded like a tap dribbling - looked out and it was chucking sleet and snow on the conservatory roof :shock:
I was thinking of going - best intentions - the Baron has windscreen wiper problems and an MOT on Tuesday :oops: :roll:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Return to Events