tom selik lands

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

tom selik lands

Postby craig12 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:34 pm

well magnum then , I was struggling with a link word , ok so here goes , I now have gvo147n in my possession , very many thanks to mitch for putting up with all my messages and questions on the magnum , I always forget how small classic cars are and heavy ,popped him or her in the garage for now and will have a closer look in a few days, not sure if its a he or a she , maybe time will tell . anyway I have a car of my dreams as a kid its in the garage :-D Lancaster insurance came back at £147 told the guy he was miles out and he reduced it to £92 :D
Last edited by craig12 on Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craig12
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: tom selik lands

Postby 1972nail » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:20 pm

Great news. :D
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby lord13 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:33 am

I'm glad you're happy with the old girl, I always thought machinery was female, but the wife christened the Magnum 'The Guv'nor', said it suited it's look, but I'm sure you'll find a suitable name for the old girl :) I'm sure I'll see her at next years VBOA and be highly jealous of how good she looks ( I usually am with cars i've sold, the estate I sold 2 years ago looks stunning in the photos i've been sent by the new owner :( , and the guy who has two of my old HB's has took them both back to bare metal and is slowly restoring them to 'as new' condition ).

Anyway, It was great doing business with you and I look forward to seeing your progress with the old girl.

Cheers
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby craig12 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:42 am

and i thought mitch , governor was because the plate began with gvo , how wrong could i get it
craig12
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby lord13 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:36 am

I believe the number plate had something to do with it :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby craig12 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:43 pm

had the magnum out of the garage tonight , thought id pull her out and just keep on tickover , had a good scoot round , ive a lot of work to do , but I knew this when I bought her , engine seems to idle faster then slower , but mitch told me how to sort this , bit of a petrol smell but it is a 43 year old car , still pinch myself that ive got a magnum , shes a bit rough around the edges but I love her , theres a story to old cars , loved looking at the original magnum service book , to the gentleman in Nottingham who purchased her , so we have a car that needs work , including paint, upholstery, carpet, service, poss cam belt , do I love it , you bet I cant wait for next years season , the only reason I say next years season is my friend told me not to drive her until id had the cam belt done , the best guess we have is the belt was changed in 2004
Last edited by craig12 on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craig12
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:55 pm

Belts on these are long lived and if they do break they are a 'non contact' engine so not too serious. Changing a belt is very easy and, on a car that doesn't have the plastic belt cover fitted, a 15 - 20 minute job.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby lord13 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:20 am

The belt did look in very fine condition, like new, but if you'd feel better changing it then by all means do so, but like 1972nail says, they are a good strong belt and a non-interference engine so if it did go there would be no damage to the important bits. Still it will take only around 10 mins to swap as the belt cover has been modified to enable swift belt changes.

A quick tune up should eliminate that idle issue, I think that carb needs setting up properly, I only fiddled with it by ear to get the best I could without the proper analyser on it. there may even be a slight air leak but it rises and falls to slow to be 'hunting' i'd say. My plan was, if i'd have kept her, was to change to a stromberg set up as I much prefer them to the downdraught thing that is on it. But that's up to you :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby craig12 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:54 pm

I think the 1800 front grille badge has beat me , I can see the muck in the leter 0 but can I get it out , toothbrush , cif, tea towel , ill try white spirit aghhhhhhhhh, also gave her a once over with bird and tar remover , does make a difference , a bit smoother on the paint finish
craig12
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby lord13 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:58 am

The '0's in the badge are solid, i.e. the hole in the number does not go all the way through if thats what you mean, it's made out of 'mazak' or something like that and it corrodes quite badly and gets pitted, then clogs up with all sort of gunk... I din't think the badge was that bad to be honest...but then I didn't give it a second glance as I had no intention of fitting it :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to Restoration