V8 Just out of curiosity??

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Re: V8 Just out of curiosity??

Postby Colin » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:59 pm

I know I'm probably being naive here, but I've always wondered why it's really necessary to cut the bulkhead to install a V8 into a Viva shell?

The slant four OHC engine was originally a V8. It's only a slant four because it's half a V8. A small V8 like the Rover 3.5 should pretty well slot straight in shouldn't it? - perhaps with some sump and engine mount modifications?

On the other hand nothing in life is simple is it! :lol:

Has anyone successfully managed a body-mod free (non-radically altered vehicle) VHI friendly V8 installation in a Viva?
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:16 pm

The Baron has a Rover V8 and the original bulkhead I believe, maybe Fred can confirm. Don't forget the Can Am Firenzas from SA. They have the original bulkhead.

Some Rover V8 engines have a lot of stuff at the front with long shafts sticking out so it's often cheaper to cut the bulkhead to get it all to fit in.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby BobbyMel » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:18 pm

Isn't Fred's V8 modified Firenza without bulkhead modification...maybe Fred can clarify
HB 368

1970 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....114 BOB
1969 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BDH819G
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BOB 33E
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....NHA 764F
1987 - Austin Montego 1.6L....E375 JRV
1995 - Rover 216 Coupe....N622 VOA
BobbyMel
Top Viva Spotter

Postby 1972nail » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:22 pm

Can Am engine bay

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Colin » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:00 pm

There you go! Just like a slant four but with an additional bank on the right! 8)

VHI friendly too - this was a production Firenza - albeit rather limited!
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:31 am

A good few years ago I helped someone put a SBC in a viva HC, using original crossmember ( modified on mounts and beefed up ) and no bulkhead or tunnel mods, so it is quite possible to do. I did the wiring which was simple enough, as the SBC had a massive 4 barrel carb on it so no electric box of tricks to wire up.
Incidentallly, the same friend has also shoved an LS1 into a HC ( again I helped with the wiring), this was a fully injected engine management arrangement, the ECU needed sending off to remove the PATS etc but after stripping the loom right back to it's bare bones I got it to run happily with not much problem, It just needed a couple of wires to the ECU for power etc, and it was good to go, not a difficult issue once i'd got a map for the pin outs and knew what went where. Again no bulkhead mods...but its a bloody tight fit.
In the same stable there is a HB with a C20XE living happily in the engine bay, again no bulkhead mods, And many moons ago I put an essex in a HB with no bulkhead mods.
So you see there is no excuse for cutting the shell, it is all do-able with a little thought and preparation.

Although....In my personal opinion, a V8 is too big for a viva, It's maybe ok in a HC, but it's far too big for a HB. A HB needs a well tuned 4pot screamer, it's just that type of car. Have you thought of putting a ford 1600 SE from a focus in there, mated up to a mx-5 box? The Puma also uses a 1700 VVT version which kicks out no end of power and screams its way up to (and over) 7000rpm, plus you can get a focus for pennies, and a puma for around £500, lots more cost effective than a V8.
Or, why not a volvo 5-pot? I've heard tell that a 5-pot gives out pretty much the same off-beat burble as a V8 and can be had for a lot less... but I couldn't say for sure...

Or, why not go electric? There a few companies out there that will supply you with the parts and advice to do it... then you could fit a throttle sensitive sound system that would play the V8 soundtrack you wanna hear :D :D :D :D
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby ADRIAN » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:10 am

The front axle MUST HAVE an anti - roll bar fitted , to help prevent your car visiting the ditch on a bend.
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:59 am

ADRIAN wrote:The front axle MUST HAVE an anti - roll bar fitted , to help prevent your car visiting the ditch on a bend.

I would agree totally with that one. I fitted a DTV front ARB kit to a 1256 back in the 70's WOW what a difference.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Previous

Return to Modifications