Cables

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Cables

Postby 68 dave » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:24 pm

Hi has anyone got a new accelerator ,and a speedo cable for my 1975 1256cc Vauxhall viva. As my ones look a mess , everything under the bonnet has be refurbish or replaced. After 36 year's of hiding in a garage is almost there, hope to start the engine very soon.dave :D
68 dave
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Cables

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:30 pm

There are 2 typed of cable ends at the pedal for accelerator cable - early one has U shape with pin through (hard to come by ) and a ball end on later models - which one have you got?
Club Spares have speedo cable for linear dash speedo
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby 68 dave » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:45 pm

Hi Fred it has the u type ends.Thanks dave
68 dave
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:19 pm

I put hear shrink tubing over my cable to tidy them up, it worked a treat.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Mike Attew » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:52 pm

My outer was ok so I used cycle brake cable to make a new inner.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby HC Fairley » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:45 am

Linear speedos have different fitments on them as well, make sure you get the correct cable, I was caught out once before. One clips into the back of the speedo while the other screws on, similar to the gearbox end.
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:48 am

1972nail wrote:I put hear shrink tubing over my cable to tidy them up, it worked a treat.

I did that on my bonnet release cable, I suspect it was you that suggested it. Much easier than finding a new one, or trying to get the end off the original.

I've got a few cables that don't fit my car, I'll get some numbers off them when I get a minute.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 68 dave » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:50 pm

Accelerator cable totally burnt out. Went down to earth when trying to sort the wiring out, getting ready to start the engine after 36years.
68 dave
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:05 pm

Did you not have a large earth strap fitted between the engine block and the chassis rail?
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:09 am

This is what I have. I've tried to show the relevant bits, hope they're readable. This is the first speedo cable, marked "0826/66".

Imagespeedo_082666 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

The second speedo cable is marked MSD561, and it only seems to have the captive nut to hold it in place on one end, even though it refers to the above cable on the label:

Imagemsd561 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

The throttle cable is one I bought for my Sportshatch, hence the red. But it's not long enough for OHC engined cars. It's marked MTC370.

Imagemtc370 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

If you need any more information please let me know. I can probably measure the length of the various cables.

Note: I don't have an OHV Viva to compare with, and it's a very long time since I worked on one, so I can't offer anything other than photos and numbers, sorry.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Next

Return to General Discussion