Lucas alternator wiring for 1256 HC

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Lucas alternator wiring for 1256 HC

Postby VampireTigger » Tue May 25, 2021 10:27 pm

My car had a twin plug Delco making rumbling noises, some cars were fitted with single plug Lucas instead. If anyone has that part of the loom and are willing to part with it please get in touch. Thanks
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Lucas alternator wiring for 1256 HC

Postby 1972nail » Wed May 26, 2021 9:26 am

I assume it's an OHV loom you need. It's relatively easy to swap the connectors over. If you don't feel confident to do it yourself any good auto spark should be able to do it.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Re: Lucas alternator wiring for 1256 HC

Postby VampireTigger » Wed May 26, 2021 10:02 am

Back in the days when Viva HCs were plentiful in scrap yards I raided the wiring from a scrapper for the alternator so my car had both types of connection on it to suit whichever alternator was available to fit.

I believe the fat brown wire goes to the starter solenoid, to pass generated current back into the system, and that I cut spliced the two brown/yellow wires that I believe are the control together. I don't think there is anything more required.

If someone has the single plug wiring available that would be great, otherwise I could go the Land Rover route and switch to one of their alternators (after checking offsets) which use ring connectors held on by nuts.
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Electrical help