Seatbelts

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Seatbelts

Postby hbpeter » Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:25 am

Are the Securon seatbelt codes 500/30(front), and 254(rear), correct for a 72 HC. Want to change the front to reels and fit rear ones. Who is a good supplier?

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Re: Seatbelts

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:05 pm

The trouble with that belt is the length of the stalk if you use the standard factory mountings which are on top of the transmission tunnel. A stalk of that length puts the join just in your left hand side, which isn't a good idea in the event of a collision and you being pulled against the belt. You could probably put new mountings further down the tunnel with appropriate strengthening plates on the other side. The strengtheners are pretty thick steel, you couldn't just bolt through the tunnel without something similar.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby gurrier » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:27 pm

In light of what you write Droopsnoot I unfortunately now realise that I did not do enough research before I bought a pair of these Inertia Reel Belts. I now realise that these belts are sold with a solid metal strap type for the buckle stalk measuring 15 cm and metal flexible cable type for the buckle stalk measuring 30, 45 and 47 cm. Mine is the 30cm cable stalk. The Securon website states that what I have are the ones recommended for the HC. It also states that the buckle should lie just on or below the hip-the former in my case. I would be interested to hear from anyone that has fitted such as these and in particular anyone that has fitted any one with the 15cm buckle. One would have expected that the manufacturers would have been aware of any issue with the length of the stalk for fitting to the HC.
1978 Vauxhall Viva E Two Door Saloon Member HC982
gurrier
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:15 am

I'd like to assume they might know more than I do about it, but I'm surprised at what they say about the location of the buckle when the belt is in use - somehow it doesn't seem "right" to me. But I stress that's based on what I think, not what I know - which is nothing specific. I guess that if the belt is properly tightened, it might make no difference, but it doesn't sound like it would be comfortable apart from anything else.

On the factory inertia reel belts, the buckle mounts directly on the top of the transmission tunnel so only the belt is in contact with me. As I think about it, neither of the two modern cars I've had / got have an arrangement where the buckle is in contact with me - I think both have the "receptacle" that it clips into bolted far down on the side of the seat.

It would be interesting to hear other people's opinions on the matter. Of course, no-one finds out whether it really is an issue until they're in a collision, so let's hope none of us get to confirm one way or the other.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby hbpeter » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:21 pm

hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby gurrier » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:18 pm

I believe that the first example of the rear belts would need to be viewed fitted so that the position of the buckle is the furthest it can be away from the occupant's body. The second example is the type that I have with the 30cm stalk which I now agree should ideally not come into contact with the occupants body when the belt is buckled. Ideally IMO the buckle clasp should be as close as possible to the fixing point. In retrospect, if I had been given the choice I would have gone for the 15cm solid metal strap type. I may in fact reconnect with my supplier and ascertain if I can change from 30 to 15 cm type as - in my now considered opinion - the latter is more suitable for the HC application.
gurrier
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Mike Robinson » Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:04 pm

These are the 15cm long Securon belt mountings on my HC. The seat is fully back for illustration, I mostly sit one notch forward but the buckle position is satisfactory there too. The mounting arrangement is a flat plate under the carpet bolted to the existing reinforced hole in the tunnel, with "ears" poking through the carpet. I think (its a while ago!) I put extra bolts through the tunnel and the flat plate to deal with the torque of a crash with driver only.

Hope this helps

Mike
Mike Robinson
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby gurrier » Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:45 pm

Many thanks Mike,

The suppliers have agreed to replace the 30cm ones that I received with the 15cm ones shown in your photo. It is just for any future buyers to be aware that the 15cm are the correct fit and not the 30cm as advertised.

William
gurrier
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby cooperman » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:17 pm

If I was fitting these to my car I would go for Securon 500/15 front and 254 rear
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby hbpeter » Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:54 pm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183168917400

These are the same belt off ebay, but with a 15cm stalk.

Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Next

Return to General Discussion